≡ Menu

Ask An Army Spouse: Career & Education

Going to School as an Army Wife

My Fiance and I are getting married in December, I want to become a nurse, but I want to move with my husband wherever he will be. Is it possible to train as a nurse through the Army because you are an Army wife? Thanks.




The Army would only offer training for a nurse if you joined the Army. However, there are programs that the education center at each post can tell you about as far as being able to get your nursing degree. The new Post 9/11 GI Bill can be transferred to dependents in certain situations (generally after he has served 6 years and if he reenlists). There is also the Career Advancement Account which provides $6,000 for higher education for spouses. The program was recently suspended for new accounts but is suppose to be coming back.

In addition, there are scholarships offered through Army Emergency Relief, National Military Family Association, spouses clubs and even sometimes the unit. Also, there is a bill that is currently being proposed to provide up to $500 for military spouses who need to be certified in another state to be able to work (nursing, teachers, architects, lawyers, etc). If that goes through, it will help tremendously with certain career fields.

The major Army posts have a hospital on post that would offer the possibility of working on post. Almost all of the smaller posts at least have a military treatment facility (MTF). A lot there are in the Army but they do have civilian positions as well.

Getting a College Degree

My fiance and I are planning on getting married towards the end of May whenever he finishes the first part of his AIT at Redstone Arsenal, then living together while he is in the second part on Eglin AFB. I’m super excited about all of our upcoming plans, however, I have been in school the past year (I’m 19) and have been working on the prerequisites to getting my RN.

So here is the problem, most RN programs are 2 years long, and with moving around every 6 or 7 months it seems impossible to get my RN while traveling with my soon to be husband.  I was wondering if the ARMY offered any on-base programs that might transfer with us while we move from base to base so that I would still be able to earn my degree?




The Army has an education office that is available at most posts. There you will be able to find about military friendly education programs as well as online programs. After he is assigned to his permanent duty station though, he should be there long enough to finish a two year program. If it were me, I would probably either not move with him during training and finish school or wait until he gets assigned to his permanent duty station to finish school. If you do a lot of transferring from one program to the next, you stand to lose a lot of credits which will only set you back further.

Good luck in pursuing your education. Nursing is a great portable career choice!

Attending College While Soldier is in Special Ops

My husband is 18X and will be going through selection soon. I’m attending a local community college, and decided not to enroll for next semester because of the fact that we’re expecting him to get his Orders after selection.

My question is….What colleges should I be looking into? I really don’t want to take any more semesters off, so I was thinking of an online school but after some research I’ve read that online degrees aren’t that transferable and most employers look down upon it. I know transferring in and out of states, I will lose some credits…should I just take that chance and keep going to colleges around where we get stationed?

Most SF guys do not change duty stations as often (if ever) as regular Army so I would say you would be very safe in attending a local college where he is stationed.

About the author: Stacey is an Army wife of a soldier who joined in 2003. He has since been medically retired but she continues to provide information to Army wives and families to make their adjustment to the Army lifestyle easier. Connect with Stacey: Facebook Twitter Pinterest

{ 2 comments… add one }
  • M.L.Britton March 16, 2012, 9:51 pm

    my husband goes to basic may 1 2012.I want to be able to start going back to school and i know theres oportunities out there for the spouses to furter their education wherer you dont have to pay like anything. However because i want to get started going back to school as soon as possible i am having trouble finding Nationally accredited schools that will support assosciate degree online for nursing. Anybody have any good school advice or what i can do even if we do have to pay for the books im fine with it?

    Thank you for your help

  • Anne July 17, 2012, 9:10 am

    My fiance is stationed in Korea right now as I’m getting ready to enter a master’s program. In January 2013 he will be at Fort Carson and I’ll be finished my degree in August 2013. I’m a Canadian and we plan on getting married in January so we can have the paper work finished in time for me to move to Colorado at the end of my degree. My question is where can I find information about civilian positions on post (particularly at Fort Carson). I have a degree in Political Science so anything related to that field would be ideal.

    This world is so new to me and your site has been a great help. Thank you.

Leave a Comment