1. Your name (as you would like it to appear on the website: Toni
2. Where did your soldier attend basic training? FT Knox, KY (Comp B 1-46)
3. When did he attend basic training? 01/10-3/10
4. How often did you hear from him? (Phone and letters) Letters about two to three a week, but phone calls, I got ONE the entire time…until he received his phone back 2 days before graduation
5. How long was it before you heard from him the first time? 10 days (I did miss one phone call his 5th day of reception, it was just to say he was ok)
6. How long did it take to receive a mailing address for him? 10 days. The first letter I got had his address on it.
7. Were there any restrictions on what you could send him? yup, just pics, letters and cards…no comics or puzzles…also, if he sends you a letter asking for a certain item, it was OK, my soldier asked for razors and soap…I sent both and he got both.
8. Were you sent information about family day and graduation? We were like 2 weeks before graduation..BUT! I found a perfect site with FT Knox, that was a lot of help, even I knew graduation date before hubby did, and when it changed I knew it before him…Ladies, this site is AWESOME : http://www.knox.army.mil/school/194arbde/GradSched.htm
9. Did he have a family day? If so, please describe. Yeah, he did but ughh..He graduated at 11am and after signing him out at 12:30 sucked to have to bring him back by 8:00pm But I did have alone time with him, thanks to my understanding in laws! They can’t drive, drink or smoke so you can kinda only take them to eat lunch, and dinner.
10. Please describe the graduation ceremony. It was nice, but kinda long We were in the field house and just a hint, sit in the middle bleachers, or the ones furthest from the entrance…closer to the boys!
11. Is there a website for his basic training unit? Is there a place to see pictures of his training online? there is but no pics pretty boring, the only good thing was the graduation information..so be warned.
12. Any other tips or information? Ladiessss! be prepared to WRITE! everyday…I did and it helps them…you might think you have nothing to say everyday and its boring, but to the boys, it doesn’t matter! For grad, make sure you get there early and DRESS TO IMPRESS, yet WEATHER APPROPRIATE, can’t tell you how may girls looked down right slutty, crazy or plain bummy…you have not seen your man in 2 1/2 months, or for OSUT longer, don’t embarrass your man! Keep busy at home, go out with friends, learn a new craft, something! It will serve two purposes, keeping you busy, showing your man you can do things on your own, and gives you something to write to him about! Send nice pics of you two and make sure to send a new one since he’s been gone…I threw a going away party for my soldier and I gave the guests the BCT list of items as ideas for gifts for him..it saved us on things he needed before he left, and any extras I sent to him when he asked for them.