1. Your name (as you would like it to appear on the website): Lindsay
2. Where did your soldier attend basic training? Fort Leonard Wood, MO
3. When did he attend basic training? he left January 4th 2010 he will graduate AIT April 23rd 2010
4. How often did you hear from him? (Phone and letters) so far i have only received about 5 phone calls. the first was when he first got there, it was about two minutes just to let me know he arrived safely. the second was probably two days later letting me know that he was almost out of reception and would be starting basic training. the following two were under 10 minutes, then the last one I got was for about an hour. they were given a 6 hour pass to go do whatever.
5. How long was it before you heard from him the first time? the day after he left
6. How long did it take to receive a mailing address for him? about two weeks
7. Were there any restrictions on what you could send him? letters, g-rated pics, and cough drops ( halls )
8. Were you sent information about family day and graduation? yes
9. Did he have a family day? If so, please describe. he will have family day the day before his AIT graduation. he is doing OSUT and there is no graduation in between. although I did get to fly up there last week while his company received a 36 hour pass, and he got to spend the night with me in my hotel room off base!
10. Please describe the graduation ceremony. I’m sorry but graduation has yet to come, but it will be soon! I’m sure it will be wonderful!
11. Is there a website for his basic training unit? Is there a place to see pictures of his training online? yes check out Fort Leonard Woods homepage at http://www.wood.army.mil/wood_cms/grad/2856.shtml …..there is also a very nice Facebook page that will help you meet and share information with people that are going through exactly what you are. its very helpful. http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#!/fortleonardwoodmissouri?ref=ts
12. Any other tips or information? just try to write them supportive letters every single day and send as many pics as you can ( like one every couple of letters, don’t over do it though ) and talk with people that are going through the same thing you are. share ideas and tips with each other and be supportive of one another.