1. Your name (as you would like it to appear):Buckles Family
2. Army Post Name: Fort Knox
3. Army Post Location: Fort Knox, KY
4. Dates When You Lived Here (please include year): Oct 2009 – August 2010
5. How is housing? On-post? On-post housing is nice and has quite a few neighborhoods of new houses. Also, most of the barracks were built within the
past few years.
Off-post? Just outside of post has some bad neighborhoods and maybe not quite as family friendly but there are also plenty of nicer areas. There are a lot of
places out in the country which I think would be ideal in an area like this. Prices vary but are all reasonably priced.
6. Rate the PX and Commissary.
Well I honestly can’t say that I have ever went into a PX or Commissary that I didn’t like. I could care less about how old the building is, prices are better
than any other off post stores.
7. Are there activities on post? Is there lodging on post? There is a bowling alley and the MWR offers programs for the soldiers and families and things for
teens and children to do.
8. What is there to do in the area? Since it’s Kentucky there is of course a lot of fishing, hunting, some hiking, etc. They also have the Patton museum and a
lot of historical things to see.
9. Rate the school system. I don’t have any children in school.
10. Are there colleges in the area? Please list. Kentucky University and Elizabethtown Community College.
11. How is the job situation? What types of jobs are in the area for spouses?
I haven’t had to job search in this area but I wouldn’t say it’s good because I have never seen any places that i would even considering applying for. They are
building a new Human Resource Center soon, not sure when it is supposed to open and it could already be open and i don’t know it as i am staying with family in
Illinois while my husband is at NTC but the center should be opening up around 4,000 jobs. The only problem i see here is that the 3rd Brigade of 1st Infantry
Division has been relocated from Fort Hood, TX to Fort Knox. So around 3,000 soldiers and their families, including mine, were recently moved to the area.
Like any post though, I’m sure that ACS is very helpful.
12. Favorite aspect of the post and surrounding area?
For me, I love Fort Knox because it close to where I’m from, Illinois. The weather is similar and there is plenty of fishing, hunting and the other outdoors activities that i love and have grown up with.
13. Least favorite aspect? The appearance of everything. I feel like the area just needed updated. New landscaping, buildings, signs, etc. and to take care of
things and keep them clean.