1. Your name (as you would like it to appear): Heather Wooldridge
2. Army Post Name: Fort Stewart
3. Army Post Location: Hinesville, Georgia
4. Dates When You Lived Here (please include year): September 2009-present
5. How is housing? On-post? Off-post? On post, basically if you have less than 3 kids you could get stuck with some pretty crummy apartment looking buildings. The housing for larger families though is really nice. Off-post, it all depends on your location. There are some dangerous places around the Hinesville area, so it is very important to speak with Army representatives that know the area better than you do before you choose a place to live off-post.
6. Rate the PX and Commissary. The PX is great. Always interesting things to look at, great food court, also with a park right next to it, and a starbucks attached. The Commisary is not the best. It looks beat down and bruised to say the least. Could definetly use some reconstruction.
7. Are there activities on post? Is there lodging on post? There are numerous amounts of activities on post. Bowling, movies, parks, indoor and outdoor pools, baseball fields, splash park, etc. There are a few sites of lodging that I have come across, which look pretty much like apartment buildings. They do look nice from the outside, but I have not been on the inside.
8. What is there to do in the area? Hinesville itself is not very well known for it’s activities, but Savannah (which is about a 45 min drive) is a large city with many things to do. There are about 5 different movie theatres, 2 large malls, many shopping centers and restaurants. Also a lot of places for children to enjoy themselves, such as Monkey Joes and Chucke Cheese.
9. Rate the school system. My children are not old enough for school yet, but I have heard good things about the schools on post here. Off-post, steer clear.
10. Are there colleges in the area? Please list. There is a Savannah Techincal College location in Hinesville that I am aware of. Most college students that I know of, take their classes online.
11. How is the job situation? What types of jobs are in the area for spouses? I have not checked in to that.
12. Favorite aspect of the post and surrounding area? The post itself is a great place to be. I feel proud to be a part of it when I drive through those gates. I love all it has to offer, and the people there are amazing, and always willing to help the army and their families. Hinesville, I do not care for.
13. Least favorite aspect? The only negative experiences I’ve had with this post were things like being 2 mins early for an appointment instead of 15, or misunderstandings with appointment times when the desk clerks don’t know military time.
14. List any local websites. There are plenty of local websites for this area. I do not know any of them though at this time.
15. Any other tips or information? There have been scams in this area that happen a lot to spouses of deployed soldiers. My advice to you is if your husband deploys, DO NOT mention it to anyone. Never tell someone you don’t know that your husband is gone, or mention his deployment. Know your neighbors, keep FRG numbers handy. Also, the Hinesville Police Department keeps an eye out for spouses of deployed soldiers, with a phone call asking to do so. It’s free, and they will ride by your house every so often each day to make sure nothing is out of the ordinary. I strongly recommend that.