≡ Menu

How to Renew Your Military ID Card

Here are the necessary procedures to follow to obtain a new identification card:


Must provide their expired ID card and one of the following:
* Sponsor present
* Power of Attorney
* DD Form 1172, signed by the sponsor
To be issued a new ID card, the current card must be within 30 days prior to the expiration date.

Lost or Stolen ID Card
Dependents need photo ID and one of the following:
* Sponsor present
* Power of Attorney
* DD Form 1172, signed by the sponsor

Family Members
Here are the necessary procedures to follow to obtain a new identification card:
Must be between the ages of 10 and 21
Family Members must have either of the following:
a. His/Her sponsor present with ID card
b. General Power of Attorney
c. Original DD form 1172 signed by sponsor & verified by a DEERS representative
Note: DD form 1172 is only valid for 90 days

Children with dual military parents are eligible for an ID cards no matter what the age.
Children of single parent Soldiers are eligible for ID cards no matter what the age.

Dependents Age 21-22
Here are the necessary requirements to obtain a new identification card:

  1. Unmarried children 21 or 22 years of age (must not have attained the age of 23).
  2. Enrolled full time in an accredited institution of higher learning.
  3. Dependent on the sponsor for over 50% of their support (or was at the time of the sponsor’s death).
  4. If enrolled in DEERS, a letter from the school registrar certifying full-time course of study leading to an associates degree or higher, beginning date, and anticipated graduation date will be necessary.

Note: The letter from the accredited institution must be signed by the registrar and must have the schools raised seal available. If not enrolled in DEERS, a birth certificate and parent’s marriage certificate is required, in addition to documentation listed above.

Children Born Out of Wedlock
Here are the necessary procedures to follow to obtain a new identification card:
1. Married couples must provide the following:
a. Marriage certificate
b. Child’s birth certificate or confirmation of birth
c. Social security card
2. Single Soldier (Male) must provide the following:
a. Child’s birth certificate
b. Social security card
c. Court order stating paternity has been established by a judge
3. Single Soldier (Female) must provide the following:
a. Child’s birth certificate or confirmation of birth
b. Social security card

You can find the closest base/post to renew your ID here: http://www.dmdc.osd.mil/rsl/


About the author: Stacey is an Army wife of a soldier who joined in 2003. He has since been medically retired but she continues to provide information to Army wives and families to make their adjustment to the Army lifestyle easier. Connect with Stacey: Facebook Twitter Pinterest

{ 22 comments… add one }
  • Karen camp February 23, 2011, 9:44 am

    do you know where in Orlando , fl I can renew my ID? my is due to expire

    • Stacey March 3, 2011, 5:45 pm

      Try the RAPIDS site. It lists all of the ID places.

      • mcokpba May 11, 2011, 1:01 pm

        Hello Stacey,
        OK I’ll bite, how do find the RAPIDS site? Link? What is RAPIDS an abbreviation for?

  • alfreda barbarin November 8, 2011, 8:28 pm

    my id is currently expire because I came home with an honorable discharge, i wanna know can i get my id renew to be able to get discounts such as home depot, lowe’s, exchange \pbx store,etc/?i have used it at charlotte russe and big lots for 10% discounts even with they being expire/

  • alfreda barbarin November 8, 2011, 8:33 pm

    im aware certain things I cant do with my id my i know i should b able to use it at the px if im able to get it renewed I have used it expiration at a few places with no problem/if so where can i go?

  • Rodger January 18, 2012, 2:25 pm

    This post is useless if it doesn’t give you a clue as where to go to renew your Military ID card.

    • Stacey January 20, 2012, 9:30 am

      If you’re renewing an ID, it’s assumed you’ve already had one so you know which office on post to go to for another one. The office location can vary by post and branch. Here’s a locator: http://www.dmdc.osd.mil/rsl/.

  • Ted June 6, 2012, 1:29 pm

    I’m retired Air Force officer whose spouse’s ID form 1173 has expired. Where in the Orlando area or closest facility can we get a new card?

  • Ted June 6, 2012, 1:36 pm

    I’m a retired USAF officer whose spouse’s form 1173 ID has expired. Where in the Orlando FL area or closest base can we get a new one ?

  • Mary Carter August 5, 2012, 1:32 pm

    My military father has past away, how do I renew my ID card?

    • Stacey August 7, 2012, 1:15 pm

      If you qualify, you can renew your ID at any ID office. Find the closest one here: http://www.dmdc.osd.mil/rsl/

    • Patricia A White May 17, 2017, 5:27 pm

      My Husband John Charles White passed away October 2016, He was retired
      Army Air force, my card does not have a expired date, but I was told I need a new card I need to make an appointment to renew it. my phone # is 254-659-8025.

  • Christiana Yule September 10, 2012, 8:41 pm

    My husband is retired Army and we live in Fort Kent, Maine. We’ve been trying to arrange to get my now-expired ID renewed for several months at our nearest facility (the National Guard in Caribou) but keep having problems. There are no hours of operation listed on the site finder and no one returned my husband’s phone calls for months, now we’re being told that limited hours are available on weekdays only and no exceptions will be made (even though the facility will be open for an upcoming off-site commissary sale). The other site in the area is defunct as far as I know, since Loring Air Force Base has been closed for many years.

    I own a small business and losing a workday for a day trip to Caribou is problematic – I’ll do it if I have to, but is there any alternative for a renewal? By mail, perhaps? And why do I have to do this every couple of years when my husband’s ID doesn’t even have an expiration date?

  • robert v. howe November 13, 2012, 4:22 pm

    is there anywhere in raleigh i can get my wifes id renewed

  • Pam June 24, 2013, 3:10 pm

    Thank you Stacey, you have been very helpful. Now people go to the site Stacey has listed ,you will find what you need for renewel.

  • Dolores D Heaton March 26, 2014, 6:55 pm

    Where in Indianapolis do I renew my Tricare card

  • Lacy July 3, 2014, 9:27 pm

    Hey Alfreda did your ever find any info on how or can you renew your Id after a honorable discharge?Because I’m having the same issue.

    • M. Zanzibar July 29, 2014, 10:28 am

      Contact your local DEERS ID Card Office using the site locator posted in the body of this article. The staff at these sites are trained to help you solve issues like this and may be able to assist you. This is best done in person; bring documentation such as DD-214, discharge orders, old IDs, whatever you may have that may be helpful and they will go over/update your DEERS record. If you are eligible for a DoD ID Card, it’s their job to ensure that you get it provided proper documentation! Good Luck

  • Pat Underwood August 12, 2014, 11:02 am

    It is unbelievable how hard it is to set up an appointment to have your I.D. renewed. I have talked with the receptionist who is new at Ft Stewart Georgia two times and she always says all representatives are busy. She then says I can go on line and schedule an appointment but gives me a website that does not come up. I then call back to leave a message for a representative to call me and the receptionist says she cannot do that. How do they expect you to make an appointment if there is no way to do it. Ridiculous and impossibly frustrating

  • Rose Dennis June 14, 2016, 12:00 pm

    I’m a military dependent & my ID is expired. I’m also not living & at bad terms with my family. Can I still renew my ID without my sponsor?

Leave a Comment