≡ Menu

Transferring Post 9/11 GI Bill to Dependents

The new Post 9/11 GI Bill entitles soldiers to transfer their education benefits to their dependents if they choose. The GI Bill education benefits can be transferred to a spouse or child if the soldier meets certain conditions.


Benefits can only be transferred to dependents who are enrolled in DEERS (Defense Enrollment Eligibility Reporting System).

  • The soldier must have served a minimum of six years and reenlist for an additional four years in order to transfer benefits to dependents.


  • If the soldier has served ten years and is precluded from reenlisting, he must serve out the maximum time he is allowed.


  • Retirement before July 1, 2010 = no additional service
  • Retirement before August 1, 2010 = one year of additional service
  • Retirement after August 1, 2010 and before August 1, 2011 = two years of additional service
  • Retirement after August 1, 2011 and before August 1, 2012 = three years of additional service

Transfer of Education Benefits

The soldier must apply through the Army to be approved to have benefits transferred to dependents. This can be completed online. Visit the VA’s GI Bill website for more details and links.

Applying for Benefits

After the approval has been given by the Army, the family member who is receiving benefits needs to complete VA Form 22-1990e that is available on the VA’s website. This form can be filled out online and submitted or printed and mailed to the VA office corresponding to the school address.

About the author: Stacey is an Army wife of a soldier who joined in 2003. He has since been medically retired but she continues to provide information to Army wives and families to make their adjustment to the Army lifestyle easier. Connect with Stacey: Facebook Twitter Pinterest

{ 9 comments… add one }
  • anonymous July 22, 2010, 6:10 pm

    My husband has served 6 years and will probably be medically retired. Can he transfer his GI Bill to me or are the rules above all that apply? thanks.

    • Stacey July 25, 2010, 8:30 pm

      To my knowledge, there is not a special provision that would allow him to transfer benefits under a medical retirement. You can always check with the VA to be sure about transferability requirements.

      • Career Counselor May 31, 2011, 11:26 am

        Yes, if the SM is being medically retired and trooper can not fulfill the SRR. The SM can still participate in TEB. The obligation end date will be the date of retirement.

        • soldier March 24, 2012, 1:15 pm

          I have 12 years in the services and i will probably be medically board i traid to transfer benefits to my family but my counselor said i have to wait until i get out of the army is this is true? if not what regulation covers this ? i beeen working with this dilema for almost 7 month i did a 4187 sign by commander and battallion comander aproving this but the counselor said i have to wait until a get out please help

          • pauliesgirl77 July 28, 2012, 3:12 pm

            I’m not sure if you will see this reply since this thread is kind of old, but please do not wait to transfer your GI Bill benefits. My husband was also told that he could transfer his benefits after he was medically retired and this is absolutely not true. You have to be on AD in order to transfer them and under the current bill, you will be unable to do so after retirement. There is some speculation that you can still transfer the benefits to your children after retirement but I have yet to find confirmation of this. A lot of people are being given incorrect info on this and being told they can wait and then finding out they are too late to do it. There is a proposal in the works to try and change this but it hasn’t gone through yet.

  • Kathy Dold July 27, 2010, 2:26 pm

    My husband is a reservist and has 20 yrs in total betwen active and reserve duty. Does the transfer program apply to reservist too??

    • Stacey July 28, 2010, 10:11 am

      The way I am reading it, it would. However, please call the nearest VA office to be sure.

  • Petronilo DE La GARZA June 7, 2012, 3:47 pm

    No where does it say to what age does a dependent have before they are ineligible to receive my education benefits. Except that a dependent had to be registered in DEERs. I retired from the Army last July with a combined 40 year service between active and reserve duty. I’m a Viet Nam era veteran and a Iraqi War vet as well. My question is can I still trasnfer my GI Bill education benefits to my daughter who is 24 years old?

  • ET2 October 16, 2012, 9:16 am

    I am being medically retired after 4 years of a 6 year contract served. Is there any way to transfer the GI Bill to my spouse seeing as how the Navy is taking responsibility for me being unable to complete 10 years?

Leave a Comment