Checklist For After A PCS Move

Moving to a new Army post can be an overwhelming experience. There is so much to be done, not to mention adjusting to a new town, new Army unit and new people.

Below is a checklist of the things you should do when you first get to post other than the tasks associated with moving.



Check DEERS and TRICARE enrollment. Many times you will be required to enroll again in the TRICARE Prime if you have chosen that plan. You also need to find out who your new Primary Care Manager (PCM) is or if you can, choose your own.

Military ID

Check the expiration date on your military ID. It is not necessary to get a new ID when you move but it’s a great time to remember to check it. If you do not have an ID, head to the nearest ID office on post to have this taken care of as soon as possible. This article explains the ID process.

Vehicle Registration

Check your vehicle registration. Check with military police station on post to find out their requirements for vehicle registration. Also, don’t forget to update your insurance and car tags (if required by your state).

Driver’s License

Most states allow military personnel to keep the driver’s license of their home of record. If you are claiming residency in the new state, be sure to get your new driver’s license as soon as possible.


Stop by the ACS and MWR office on post for information about the area, a map of post and a list of services. If you are still looking for a place to live, they can also typically provide real estate and rental information.


Have your soldier add your name to the new unit’s FRG list. This will ensure that you receive all information from the FRG about meetings, gatherings and unit news.

Spouses Club

Check out the spouses club on post. This can be a great way to meet people. Many posts have combined enlisted and officer spouses club into one club for all though some are still separated.

Army Family Team Building

Take AFTB classes on post if you haven’t already had this training. Not only will it familiarize you with the Army ways, it will also enable you to meet new people.

Childcare on Post

If you have children, check out the CDC (Child Development Center). The CDC provides childcare and also maintains lists of approved childcare providers on post and in the area. Many CDCs also offer hourly care as well.


File for DLA (Dislocation Allowance). You can see rates here.

Medical Records

If you haven’t already, request your medical records from your last post or former physician.

What else would you add to this checklist? Looking for PCS tips for the actual move? Check out our 19 moving tips here.

author avatar
Stacey Abler
Stacey's husband joined the Army in 2003 and was medically retired after four deployments. She enjoys sharing her experiences and expertise around Army life while continuing to support Army spouses and families in their military journey.

Similar Posts

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.