Last Updated on August 9, 2019
1. Your Name (as you would like it to appear)
2. Where did your soldier attend basic training?
Ft Jackson SC
3. When did your soldier attend basic training (please include the year)?
April 2010 – June 25 2010
4. How often did you hear from him (phone and letters)?
Phone calls varied if they got into trouble or not but letters were about once every other day.
5. How long was it before you heard from him the first time?
I herd from him a week after leaving in reception
6. How long did it take to receive a mailing address from him?
7. Were there any restrictions on what you could send him?
There were a lot, no colored or odd envelopes and DO NOT send things overnight it goes to a different post office and actually takes longer then sending it normally.
8. When did you receive information about family day and graduation?
About two or three weeks after he left
9. Did he have a family day? If so, please describe.
Yes, it was really hot in the month of June and not a lot to do on base ( you can not leave base with them). Bring A LOT of water and sun screen and get there EARLY. The ceremony is really short and there are a lot of places to go shopping. Just take your time and enjoy the day, it goes by quick.
10. Please describe the graduation ceremony.
There ceremony is pretty quick , get there EARLY because the stands become jam packed. You Will have to walk to the other side of the field at the end to meet you solider so It does not matter where you sit.
11. Is there a website for his unit? Did you find a place online that has pictures from his basic training?
His unit had a FB page that was sooo helpful and they post picture and updates weekly.
12. Any other tips or information?
Always write them , they count on your letters.
Don’t expect much , they tend to just tell you about their day
Make friends ! They are so helpful and you get to meet on graduation day ! I made many friends and two I have kept even though our other halves have gone separate ways,
Do watch what you write and post on things, you can and will get them into trouble if their DS’s read them
And always remember to keep your head up , you may feel down but it gets better !!