How to Get a Military ID

As an Army wife, your military ID card is one of the most essential documents you will ever have in your possession while your soldier serves in the Army.

It serves as your way to access the post, allows you to shop in the commissary and PX, serves as your insurance card, and can sometimes entitle you to valuable military discounts.

Who is eligible?

  • Spouses (wives and husbands)
  • Widows who have never remarried
  • Unmarried children who are 10-21 (or up to age 23 for college students)
  • Disabled unmarried children over the age of 21 who cannot support themselves
  • Parents who rely on the soldier for more than half of their monetary support monthly

Your husband likely was instructed by his recruiter to take his marriage certificate, birth certificate, and other pertinent paperwork with him to reception (time before he begins basic training).

While he is in reception, your soldier will enroll each dependent (as stated above) in DEERS (Defense Eligibility Enrollment Reporting System). He will complete DD Form 1172 so that each dependent can obtain an ID.

Your soldier will then mail this form to you. When you receive it (which may take several weeks or longer), proceed to the nearest military base. You do not have to go to an Army post. My ID was made at an Air Force base closest to my home.

It seems that every ID station has different requirements. I only had to have the DD Form 1172 to have my ID made. Others have had to show birth certificates or a power of attorney. Be safe and take all of your documentation with you, or call ahead and ask.

If you are not close to a military installation, you can always wait until you go for your husband’s graduation or until he gets to his first duty station. Just keep in mind that you will not be able to take advantage of any military benefits without your ID.

Find the closest military base to have your military ID made.

author avatar
Stacey Abler
Stacey's husband joined the Army in 2003 and was medically retired after four deployments. She enjoys sharing her experiences and expertise around Army life while continuing to support Army spouses and families in their military journey.

Similar Posts


  1. After going to the office to complete the paper work for the insurance and ID card, how soon will I have the ID card in my hands?
    Do they mail it out like the state drivers license? Or will I get it at the time of completing the paper work?

    1. I’m the soldiers wife, and he’s away at BCT. Can I get this ID before he graduation next month?

  2. Ok my husband is now half way through ait and I still haven’t been mailed the papers for gettin my military id how do I get my military id while he’s in ait ? Would really appropriate an answer soon since we have a son who is 4 months. Thank u. And thank u for all thoses who have and are serving.

    1. You can call the post to see what you can do if you don’t have that form – not sure what the answer is on that one. Your best bet is to ask your husband to send the form to you.

  3. My husband passed away 2 years ago. He was 100% total permanent disabled. I had a dependent ID card prior to his death, but it is about to expire in a few months. Am I eligible for renewal if the veteran has passed away?

  4. I was wondering how do or where do I get my I.D. I the where I live in California there’s a town called Santa Rosa. I think you can get them there but not sure about where they are located at.. If you have that Info that would be great.. If not the I can go to the recruiting station!! Thank you very much… 🙂

    1. She would have to be able to prove that she is providing at least 50% of your financial support in order to be able to apply for the possibility of you being her dependent.

  5. i was wondering my husband will be 60 in 2 years and he said that he will be getting his retirement id my question is we used to live in okla and now we live in fla does he have to go to okla to get his retirement id and do i have to go with him to get one for me?

  6. Recently I received a copy of a military ID from a woman selling a truck, and she is stationed at Fort Belvoir. Her name on the emailed ID is Corporal Melany Hopkins. I was told by foia that there is no Melany Hopkins in th army. This Melany Hopkins sent me her phone # and email address and references Ft. Belvoir in her emails. What can I do? Thank you.

    1. Lee,
      I have been in contact with a Melany Hopkins trying to sell a truck that she states is in Virginia. Trying to determine if she is a fraud or what now that I’ve seen your post and am not comfortable with differences in info between the carfax and cert of title she sent me. What was your experience with her?

  7. Hi, I was wondering how getting a military ID works. I was told that I was to go to a city near me to get the military ID and than I read up on it here and it says I have to wait for my husband to send me a form.

    Right now we are still in the process of going through the paperwork, ASVAB, MEPS, & boot camp. So I am fairly new to all of this. At the recruiting station they are asking for my birth certificate, social, ID, and our marriage certificate. Are they asking for all that because they are already going to enroll me in DEERS?

  8. My husband passed away a year ago he was a army veteran if so can I or how could I obtain an spouse military I’d thank you in advance

  9. I’m a army veteran going to a VA clinic, I have a VA ID card can I use it at the local post PX? Thank You

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.